Sunday, March 6, 2011

It's time to leap!

As many of you already know, I started applying for a job in England December 2009. I interviewed in Chicago Feb 2010, got the job March 2010 and here it is March 2011 and I am finally about to depart for this big adventure.

You may be wondering what took so long.. Well here it is.. This past summer my fingerprints were not able to be read by the FBI becasue the police department didn't do my fingerprints correctly. I ended up waiting over three months for the FBI to tell me this bit of important information. After getting my fingerprints sent off for a second time and waiting another three months I was cleared. This is where it gets interesting.. I sent off my paperwork only to be told the England halted all immigration. This was due to a recent election they had which put strict guidelines in place to "keep people out". Since social worker were on the list of jobs in high demand in the UK I appealed my immigration status. I went through two different appeals until I was accepted. Being excited I wasted no time getting my paperwork in the mail. Since the recruiter I was working with was going to be in Atalanta for interviews I decided to mail all my documentation to Atlanta instead of London. The week before Halloween 2010 I sent my paperwork off to Atlanta. Needless to say it never made it. Ugh.. I know. This happened to be my first experience with the US postal service losing a package. It also happened to be one of the most important packages I have ever mailed. I sent the package from Brandon, Mississippi and instead of it being scanned in Jackson, Mississippi (only 10 miles away) to continue to Atalanta it was scanned received!!!! What!?!?! I know that was my reaction too. I can not believe such a simple yet detrimental mistake was made. My package ended up being lost in the mail from October 2010 to February 2011!

Being very irritated and frustrated with the whole situation and thinking I would never actually be moving I am proud to say this day has finally come! I am moving!! I have booked my flight and received my work visa in the mail!! My flight is scheduled for March 19th 2011! For the past two weekends I have been moving all my belongings from Jackson Mississippi to Chattanooga TN (where I grew up). I am keeping a small storage unit in Jackson but the majority of my stuff is going to Chattanooga.

I am in the process of figuring out what all I want to take to England. Delta only allows one bag free however, that is not going to cut it. I am going to have to take two or more. I figure paying a $55.00 extra bag fee is a lot cheaper than paying for my stuff to be shipped over there. I am very blessed to have my mom help me move. That means a lot less stress on me! That also means more bags for my stuff!! She is a school teacher and will be on Spring Break the week I am moving. I guess it does all work out.

I will keep everyone posted on my adventure from here on out!
Until next time,
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment